pianobar is a free/open-source, console-based client for the personalized
online radio Pandora.
- play and manage (create, add more music, delete, rename, ...) stations
- rate songs and explain why they have been selected
- upcoming songs/song history
- customize keybindings and text output
- remote control and eventcmd interface (send tracks to last.fm, for example)
- proxy support for listeners outside the USA
There are community provided packages available for most Linux distributions
(see your distribution’s package manager), Mac OS X (MacPorts or homebrew)
and *BSD as well as a native Windows port.
The current pianobar release is 2020.04.05 (sha256, sign). More recent and
experimental code is available at github and the local gitweb. Older releases
are available in the attic.
- The audio output does not work as expected. What can I do?
- pianobar uses libao and most problems are related to a broken libao
configuration. Have a look at issue #167 for example.
- Can I donate money? Do you have a Flattr/Bitcoin/… account?
- No, money is not necessary to continue working on pianobar. There are many
other ways to support pianobar: Reporting bugs, creating cool stuff
based on pianobar, blogging about it and the most important one: Keeping
- Scripts that interact with pianobar entirely through notification bubbles
- pianobar.el (1, 2)
- emacs interface for pianobar
- Control pianobar like any other media player through DBUS/MPRIS.
- Python/GTK desktop client
- Pandora UNIX daemon, based on pianobar
- Pandora Client for OS X
- Beagleboard-based radio device running pianobar
- Pandora’s Box
- Raspberry Pi-based standalone devices running pianobar